Subject: [Leica] Re: More GPS quibbles
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Mon Feb 26 06:47:16 2007

INS navigation uses 4 inputs to figure out where it is at any time....
Elapsed time, velocity, direction ( vector) of starting, and
initial start location.  Without a single one of those inputs, INS is not an
absolute location process.  In fact, it is not an
absolute system.. it is a relative system of location.  Relative to its
initial starting location.

State of the art Missiles work on initial position of GPS ( or effectively
"manual" or external download). Followed by a complex
vector analysis of speed, direction of firing, projectile aerodynamics, and
time.  All of this can be gotten from the GPS satellite
data, if it is working and the signal can be found.

I was at the Draper Labs, making and testing state of the art gyros that
allowed INS to function in missiles.  We used the Apollo
gyros for desk weights.  They were junk compared to the stuff we were
working on.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net