Subject: [Leica] Leica on Everest: an Apology
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Feb 26 15:50:21 2007

I have long maintained that no one could document
a Leica being carried high on Mount Everest until
the 1982 Canadian climb.  It has been suggested
that the noted photographer, Frank Smythe,
carried one up with him in 1936, but no one can
find proof of this and Smythe died with his '36
records in complete disarray.  (Smythe had taken
a plate camera high with him in '33 when he tied
the high point set by Fitch in '22 and Norton in
'24, though he did not have the camera with him
at that time.  Norton's partner in 1924, Howard
Somervell, did get a picture of Norton returning
from his high point on a Kodak Vest Pocket with a
Zeiss-derived B&L Anastigmat lens;  this camera
was one of the two VP's lost two days later with
Mallory and Irvine in their fatal climb.  Thank
heavens Somervell loaded the camera with fresh
film before handing it over to Mallory, so that
we have the image of Norton returning as a battered and exhausted man.)

I just happened to glance over my copy of THAT
UNTRAVELLED WORLD, the memoir of Eric Shipton,
and, facing page 80, there is a picture of
Michael Spender holding what is obviously a
Leica, probably a Leica A.  Spender was the
brother of the noted poet, Stephen Spender, and
was the cartographer on the '36 climb, as a
result of which he made some magnificent off-set
projections of the North Face, the best made
until the National Geographic map from the
1980's.  (There was a literary bent to the 1930's
climbs:  Graham Green's brother was the surgeon
on the '33 and '36 Expeditions, while Smythe,
Tillman, and Shipton were established authors in their own right.)

Contax first made it to Everest with the '53
Expedition but no Contax seems to have made it
above the South Col;  the epic picture of Tenzing
at the summit was shot on a Prewar Retina 114
with a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar lens and on
Kodachrome 10, to boot.  A Contax IIa went high
when Woody Sayres, Woodrow Wilson's grandson,
made that deliciously illegal climb of the North Face in 1963.)

So, yes, the evidence is that Spender had a Leica
on Everest in '36, and I stand corrected.  The
evidence has been in my library for years and I
never thought to LOOK AT THE PICTURES!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!