Subject: [Leica] Leica USA service/repair DoF questions
From: msadat at gmail.com (mehrdad)
Date: Wed Feb 28 19:58:49 2007

this is a leica reply on question somebody had about a 35mm 1.4 asph
and focusing problems. more info found on leica user fourm

you described that the focus moves back when stopping down the aperture.
This effect occurs due to so called spherical aberration.

It is an image imperfection that occurs due to the increased
refraction that occurs when rays strike the lens near its edge, in
comparison with those that strike nearer the center.
It?s not possible to remove this aberration completely in the optical
design, especially at high speed lenses . Different aberrations need
different parameters to correct them.
Unfortunately it happens when you improve one aberration (e.G.
distortion), that an other aberration increases. At the end it?s a
compromise between all kinds of aberrations, size, weight etc.
The 35mm f1.4 lens is a well balanced lens regarding all competing
parameters.
But unfortunately it?s not totally free of any aberrations.
It needs to be considered, that stopping down has an effect on the
focus plane and probably it needs some exercises in order to get the
right feeling for the lens.
...end quote...

The email goes on to explain that, since the first lens I sent back
(they didn't receive the second one yet) was within the spec (and not
at the bottom of it either) I might want to have it sent back to me.

Now I have to trust these good and helpful folk but I have replied
that if the 35mm Cron does not exhibit this I might have that instead.
I have also observed that the PDF technical spec for the 35 1.4 which
I downloaded from their website appears to contradict the email in
that the very detailed DOF charts show a one metre point of focus
remaining within focus throughout the aperture range. I also observed
that it might be helpful to let potential purchasers know in advance
of purchase that this design constraint exists and that they will need
to 'get the right feeling for the lens'.

it seems that with M8 alot more is visible and hence all these
situations . some of ziess lenses appear on paper to be more corrected
than leica's