Subject: [Leica] Seen In New Orleans
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Feb 28 21:50:15 2007

There is a persistent myth in the US that the French are anti-
American. Nothing could be further from the truth. I have travelled
extensively in France, have family there, speak the language etc., so
I feel I know the country and the people well enough to have an
informed opinion. To be sure,there is a segment of the French
political and cultural elite that resents the decline of French
influence in the world (both politically and culturally) and talks
about Anglo-American hegemony. But on the level of the average
person, the French like the Americans, they appreciate Hollywood
probably more than anyone else (they take cinema very seriously in
France)--Clint Eastwood was just honoured at the Elysee Palace within
the past few weeks. For every Jose Bove who destroys a McDonalds
there are thousands who eat there--I read somewhere that McDo's
French subsidiary is the most profitable outside the US (not that
this is necessarily a good thing...). And so on.

In many French towns there are monuments to the American soldiers who
liberated them, and that history is being remembered and appreciated
across the generations.

Nathan