Subject: [Leica] Exposure and Development
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Mar 1 11:50:40 2007

On 3/1/07 1:53 PM, "Lottermoser George" <imagist3@mac.com> typed:

> Under exposure and overdevelopment do not properly describe fine
> photographic technique.
>
> Ideally we want to expose properly to provide desired shadow detail
> while developing properly to control highlight separation for any
> particular scene's contrast range.
>
> While this is very applicable to sheet film, and to some degree 120
> rolls, where you use an entire roll for one condition, it becomes
> tricky when you've exposed a 36 exposure roll of 35mm film in 5 or 6
> different contrasted scenes.
>
> So. You want to find the ISO rating : development combination which
> will best suit the full range of contrast situations that your roll
> will find itself exposed to. Once you've hit that ideal compromise.
> You really don't want to 'over expose' or 'under develop' (or 'under
> expose' and 'over develop') unless you're trying to save an important
> frame or group of frames.
>
> The terms:
> 'over exposure' implies too light and blown highlights
> 'under exposure' implies too dark and lost shadows
> 'over development' implies blown highlights
> 'under development' implies lost shadows.
> In all cases these terms also imply poor technique, and lack of
> control and/or understanding of what's going on with your materials
> and chemistry.
>
> Regards,
> George Lottermoser
> george@imagist.com

I see it pretty much the way you see,  George.
The best direction to err on is to not err at all.
Aim for the middle. Which seems to be what you are saying.

There's a mind set which says to lower ASA or ISO to give one some "leeway".
In effect to err on the side of over exposure. To build in some right from
the beginning.. And perhaps under developing to "compensate" for it..
Either one not good but both together really very much not good.

If I had an over exposed neg to deal with I'd almost rather it not also be
under developed. Odds are the lack of development is not going to help out
with highlight and over all separation. But its going to hurt in that
regard.  You've in effect collapsed your neg from both ends.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com