Subject: [Leica] re: Exposure and Development
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Fri Mar 2 13:40:59 2007

On Mar 2, 2007, at 3:13 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
> When I say this your first "photo outing" I'm thinking about the
> first times
> you go out with what you know about the zone system with your first
> spot
> meter and you try to make it work.

For me that was another Magic Photo moment. The first time I
calibrated everything: meters, lenses, film, development and then
went out and actually put the system to use - WOW! IT WORKS. It's
pure science (a part of photography that I always enjoyed). You sure
enough can control what appears on the film through exposure and
development.

> And you find out as you try to make prints with all the tones
> placed where
> you wanted them at the very beginning on a little piece of paper
> you need to
> know more.

Right. The fact that you may have a near perfect negative (meaning
all the values are where you wanted them) does not mean you made the
right decisions; or that the print will be all that you'd hoped for.
But a good negative full of shadow detail and highlight separation
allows for a whole lot of print possibilities. You can always choose
to bury the shadow detail in deep rich black. But if you decide that
what the print really needs is some zone III or IV detail and it
ain't on film - well - you're screwed. And the same is true of those
scintillating highlights. If you fry them into opaque silver on the
film - you may as well send it to the silver recovery plant and turn
it into jewelry.

> That things are more difficult then they are supposed to be.

Difficulty? Supposed? Relative and subjective terms. ;~)

Speaking of controlling dynamic range and contrast - has any LUGger
done any serious HDR work in PS? I've seen some stunning images using
the technique; and really hope to find some time to work with it.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] re: Exposure and Development)