Subject: [Leica] LHSA meeting
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Fri Mar 2 15:48:10 2007

Mark Rabiner wrote:
Its the LHSA spring shoot. Which means its not a bunch of slide shows like
the annual meetings. But more hands on fun. With all the guys and gals. Very
light on gals. But some of the guys bring wigs and its just as much fun.

30 miles from The Moonrise.

And there's all this ghosts Stieglitz O'Keeffe stuff going on.
White bones laying everywhere with graffiti on them. Very photogenic.
The Flatiron building. A photo of it is hanging somewhere.

Some notable photo-related sites in Santa Fe are:

Andrew Smith Gallery (San Francisco St. near the Plaza)
Traditional art photo gallery with the usual artists: Adams, Caponigro,
Weston, Curtis, HCB, Leibowitz, etc.  They usually display a rather large
print of "Moonrise."

Photo gallery in the lower shopping level of Hotel La Fonda:
I've seen several HCBs there in the past.  Not as large a collection as
Smith (see above).

Another gallery, either on Water or Galisteo St., near Andrew Smith:
This gallery specializes in prints of famous PJ shots from the past.  It's
interesting but you've seen everything it it before.

College of Santa Fe:
You need a car to get there but it could be worth a visit.  They have a good
visual arts program and sometimes have great shows in their gallery (HCB,
Salgado in the past).

Georgia O'Keeffe Museum (also near Smith):
Depends, but they recently had a Paul Strand show and of course there's the
Stieglitz connection.

Museum of New Mexico:  Just off the Plaza.  Sometimes they have good photo
shows.  If not it's still a fun place to visit.

Camera and Darkroom:
Best local camera store.  Galisteo St. near the Plaza

If you come to Albuquerque, there's a great photo collection at the
University Art Museum.  If you make an appointment you can see some really
amazing stuff from just about any photographer you've ever heard of.  Just
say "Could I see some Brassais?" and they'll bring 'em out to you.  They
have more than 10,000 photographs and 20,000 art prints.

Also in ABQ, the Tamarind Institute:
World class lithography workshop.  You can visit and see their amazing
collection of art lithos.  I mean amazing.

The Albuquerque Museum:
Near ABQ's Old Town.  Definitely worth a visit and they usually have some
kind of photography exhibit hanging.

Food: Too many places to mention but here are some I've always enjoyed:

Gabriel's:  Out on the highway near the Opera.  Great patio if the weather's
nice.  Try the table-made guacamole.

Atrium dining room at Hotel La Fonda:  At least go look at it.  Gorgeous.
Good food too, and fair prices.

Plaza Cafe on the Plaza (where else?):  Downscale but yummy.  Can't eat
three-star all the time. ;-)

Inn of the Anasazi:  Near the Plaza.  Pricey and trendy; very good too.

Pascal's:  Water St. Near the Plaza:  One of my faves.  Dripping with charm.

Cafe Dominic:  Guadalupe St. art district, near Site Santa Fe:  Can't be
beat if you're in the area.  Try the Sopa Azteca.

Feel free to contact me offlist if you have questions.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] LHSA meeting)