Subject: [Leica] Exposure and Development
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Fri Mar 2 15:55:33 2007

Except when I am using C41 monochrome film, I don't know if a problem in a
negative is due to under/over exposure or under/over development. There are
so many factors affecting development (age of chemicals, water quality,
agitation) and so many possible E.I. ratings of film, I finally said
"Enough!". I am going with three liquid developers with very good shelf
lives (Rodinal, Prescysol, and PMK Pyro) and, of those, I favor Prescysol
because it uses the same timings for all films and involves very little
agitation. If I let a highly controlled development in Prescysol become my
"anchor" and use ambient light measurements carefully, then I think I can
settle on an E.I. for a few good films that will work well most of the time.

I would like to use BW400CN or XP2-Super, but with so few labs down here
now, I would have to either drive to the suburbs or mail the film out of
town. I'll probably do the latter in Santa Fe.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com
http://400tx.blogspot.com/