Subject: [Leica] IMG: East Coast Flicker
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Mar 5 08:15:07 2007

Leonard Taupier <len-1@comcast.net> wrote:

> Yellow-Shafted Flicker. Found on the East Coast of the US.
>
> Nikon D2X, 400mm AF-I at f5.6, ISO 640
>
> <http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LeonardT/Birds/Flicker.jpg.html>
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ytyoyg

Common or not it's still a beautiful bird, thanks for showing us.

As previously mentioned, the eastern (and northern) birds have a black
moustache and in the males, a red crescent at the back of the head where
the west coast birds lack the red crescent and the males have a red
moustache.  When the birds fly, eastern birds show bright yellow wing and
tail undersides, in the west it's a bright orange-red.  A more subtle
difference is the gray and tan head markings: eastern birds have a tan face
with gray crown; these colors are reversed in the western birds.

These are considered the same species and intergrades can be found in the
central part of the continent.  Another North American flicker is the
Gilded Flicker of the desert southwest, with the golden wing linings of the
eastern flickers and the head markings of the western birds.

a western Northern Flicker (first posted late last night):
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/nofl00.html

a Gilded Flicker (from a very long time ago):
http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/gifl00.html

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com ? What can On Demand Business Solutions do for you?

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] IMG: East Coast Flicker)