Subject: [Leica] A Weakening... Somebody Stop Me!
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Mar 6 19:49:09 2007

At 7:35 PM -0600 3/6/07, Sonny Carter wrote:
>Somewhere in Leica literature, there is a fix to keep the lens from being
>collapsed to far.  It was to use dymo labeler tape around the barrel to keep
>it from backing into the M5 sensor.

The M5 arm sits a lot further forward than the M8 shutter.

It's really quite simple. Measure the distance from the flange to the
shutter on the body, and then measure the distance from the flange to
the back of the collapsed lens on the lens. If the former is larger
than the latter, you're home free. Leave a mm or two leeway, for
peace of mind and/or flapping shutter blades :-).

A quick application of that theory showed that the current 50/2.8
Elmar is about 4mm shy of hitting the shutter blades, so plenty of
leeway.

>Sonny
>
>On 3/6/07, Jeffery Smith <jsmith342@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>One of the things I like about collapsible lenses is....they are
>>collapsible! I don't think the Heliar will bottom out. I hope not, at
>>least.
>>It doesn't bottom out in a CV Bessa, and an Elmar does, as does the
>>Hexanon.
>>
>>Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA

--