Subject: [Leica] Re: Collapsible lenses
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Mar 6 20:09:17 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 10:16 PM, Sonny wrote:

> Somewhere in Leica literature, there is a fix to keep the lens from
> being
> collapsed to far.  It was to use dymo labeler tape around the
> barrel to keep
> it from backing into the M5 sensor.

By this time everyone knows that it is in the CL manual. Any lens
whose retracted portion extends more than 17 mm behind the lens
flange runs the risk of fouling the moving meter cell on the CL. The
50 mm f3.5 Elmar extends 22 mm beyond the flange so that a strip of
3/8" Dymo tape should be wrapped around the upper end of the
retracting barrel to prevent it from moving back too far. The fully
retracted 50 mm f2.0 Summicron only extends 12 mm behind the flange
so that it can be mounted on the CL and collapsed with impunity.
These, by the way are actual measurements, not simply extracted from
the literature. I occasionally use the 50 mm Summicron on the CL
since it has the 50 mm frame line always visible. The collapsed lens
protrudes no further than the fixed 40 mm lens.

I don't know how these recommendations translate to other Leicas like
the M5 or M8. My approach would be to mount the lens in its extended
position then gently push it back to the collapsed position. If it
hits anything, STOP.

Larry Z