Subject: [Leica] Re: Spotmatic
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu Mar 8 12:20:04 2007

Thu, 8 Mar 2007  "Philip Forrest" wrote:

>Aside from the M series Leicas, I really do think that the Spotmatics are
>>perhaps the finest cameras to ever come out of that era.  The fit,
>finish, >controls and lenses are top shelf.  That winder on the Spotmatic
>feels
>like the buttery clutch wind of the M3.  One of my favorite cameras and
>one of the most overlooked great cameras.

>I've always wanted one in black paint...
I agree they were wonderful.  Here's a black one:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/Spotmatic_AMR.jpg.htm
l>

I always thought the physical design of the Spotmatics and Takumar lenses
was great - the focus ring knurling and the marvelous feel to the half
click stops on the aperture, and the way a shroud covered all the numbers
on the lens barrel except for the cutout window on the top.  Elegant. And
then there's the little touch of the red window to indicate that the
shutter was cocked.  As I understand it, with the Pentax line in the early
sixties, Honeywell was responsible for a trend toward more legible markings
on cameras and lenses.

My Super-Takumars were as sharp as I could want.  I only gave up using
Pentax because I needed to be able to change lenses faster (this was before
the K mount came out).

Alan

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer