Subject: [Leica] IMG: Long-eared Owl
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Mar 18 18:14:33 2007

On 3/18/07 9:23 PM, "Doug Herr" <telyt@earthlink.net> typed:

> Today I visited Mercey Hot Springs near Firebaugh California
> (merceyhotsprings.com). located in the hills west of I-5 in the
> central valley.  For those who have not travelled this stretch of
> freeway, it's considered one of the most boring freeways in
> California; winter at least has some green in the grasslands, but in
> summer the hills are light brown with dead grass and the sky,
> influenced by automotive pollution and grass fires, is nearly the
> same color.
>
> Mercey Hot Springs is an oasis with a year-round water supply and a
> small grove of tamarix trees, the only substantial plant growth for
> many miles.  During the winter months these tamarix trees are host to
> numerous Long-eared Owls who hunt for Kangaroo Rats in the
> surrounding desert by night and roost communally in the tamarix trees
> by day:

Kangaroo Rats sound really delicious they'd bring me out as well.
I loose all composure when I hear their name I start drooling
uncontrollably.

People say:
Wipe your chin Mark!

And I say "can't help it someone just mentioned the succulent "Kangaroo
Rats" again.
And if I see one hop hop hop out of the corner of my eye you don't even want
to know about it!

I LUNGE!
And hurt myself!

Ah to have one wrapped in aluminum fold slowing turning over a min spit!

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com