Subject: [Leica] OT: large print output service?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Mar 19 19:56:19 2007

On 3/19/07 6:59 AM, "Richard" <richard-lists@imagecraft.com> typed:

> I am seriously thinking about getting a Z3100, the 24" large format printer
> from HP. The primary reason being that with my integrating Chinese
> calligraphy into photoimages, even a 13x19 print looks small for
> calligraphy. The major downside is of course the cost. Plus that who knows
> how many these images I can make...
>
> One way to defray the cost is to sell printing service at slightly premium
> over material cost. With the builtin color calibration, the printer should
> produce prints that look pretty darn good.
>
> What do you think? A viable "business" plan? Or should I just a) give up
> whole idea, or b) bite the bullet and purchase the printer anyway?
>
> // richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly, please
> use richard at imagecraft.com)

Have you seen what at 17x22 print looks like for your work.
It could easily look perfect.

In my prints the 13x19s look shrunk as they stack up against what I'm used
to for the majority of shows I've hung which are 16x20s. As well as many of
my portfolios I've carried around.
13x19s seem like shrunken badly 16x20s.

17x22s on the other hand are 16x20s on illegal steroids. And lots of them.
They are bigger than what most photographers are used to.

Or a 17x something longer?

The Chinese calligraphy art thing has most often been in a very long skinny
format.
17x 30 or 40 is HUGE.

As 17" printers are much more common and everyone's using them the 3800
sells for the price of a 13x19 printer and has captured the imagination of a
huge percentage of market share. Its a phenomenon and for good reason.
And its only $ 1,295.00
A 24 inch is $ 2,995.00
A 44 inch is $ 4,995.00

And as J.Gilbert hints and he is in the business.
Get an Epson.

And as I hint if you can't get an Epson maybe get a Canon. Maybe

But don't get an HP no one uses those they're miles behind and everyone
knows it.

There's an old LIFE Magazine thing about a weak image. An old editor was
supposed to have said it.

If its a weak image print it bigger.

And I've found that to be true. I've had 20x24" shows and it wouldn't matter
what the pictures were of they'd all knock there socks off. The same images
flopped smaller.

We shouldn't have to do this.

We should make images strong enough to look good 8x10.
Or in today's world 8.5x11.

Which by the way looks a whole lot bigger than 8x10.

A serious size for both darkroom and inkjet is 11x14.
And lots of 11x14 shows are hung. A third of mine. And many of people I know
or just shows I've seen. And many shows by famous people I've seen.
To me 11x14 is "normal".
And 13x19 is a nice sized bigger.

But doesn't cut it next to 16x20s.
Shrunken heads.