Subject: [Leica] Adobe Photodownloader
From: dommorris at rogers.com (Dominic Morris)
Date: Wed Mar 21 19:03:38 2007

Greetings.

I loath the prospect of taking the SD card from my camera, especially
in bone dry winter air when static cackles at the touch of - well,
anything, really. Upgrading firmware to 1.092 was a major trauma.

So I have always opted for USB cable downloading of images to my
iMac's hard drive. Initially Image Capture seemed to have  a hard
time recognizing the M8 but then settled down. I also tried the Adobe
Photo Downloader and drooled over its capabilities. With it you can;
* down load images to one directory and create a subdirectory on the
fly (I download to 2007, subdirectory CreateDate in MM/DD format)
which I consider the Archive directory for later back up to DVD, and
ultimately to a 2nd hard drive;
* download copies to a second directory, in my case WorkingFiles.
* rename the incoming images.
* covert other raw formats (or the Leica DNG) to DNG (great for
Aperture users).
* populate  Author and Copyright metadata fields.

Solves a whole lot of workflow issues. Trouble is it took forever to
boot up and sometimes completely froze Bridge. You could wear out a
battery waiting for this sucker.

Good news is that with Bridge CS3 Beta 2, it seems to work great
first time every time.

Colour me happy.

Dom

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Adobe Photodownloader)