Subject: [Leica] OT: large print output service?
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Wed Mar 21 19:06:25 2007

Richard:

>The major downside is of course the cost. Plus that who knows
>how many these images I can make...

Cost of the printer:  $6300.

Cost of a 24x36 print from my lab:  $41

Cost of 24x36 paper:  roughly $8

I'd have to make 189 prints before breaking even.  And that's assuming the
ink is free.  Based on how much it cost for ink to make 8x10 prints, I'd
guess about $5-10 worth of ink per 24x36 print.  So make that 250 prints
before breaking even.

If it were me, I would let my lab handle that.  All of the above assumes
that your time is free, and there is zero cost associated with buying the
printer.  And that you don't mess up any prints.  And that your printer
doesn't require any maintenance.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/