Subject: [Leica] Nikon Nostalgia - Off Topic
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Wed Mar 21 23:10:31 2007

Hello Luggers,
When I was in India the old friend I was visiting gave me his 1972
Nikkormat FT, together with a 50mm f1.4 Nikkor and a 200mm f4.0 tele.
We had bought identical equipment when working together in Kuala
Lumpur in the early '70's. My equipment was sold by the early 80's
(as I moved on to Leica) but he put his in storage in Singapore for
about 20 years. When he gave it to me the equipment, encased in its
leather cases (a BIG "no no" for long term storage) was furry with
fungus and I was unsure whether it could be restored or whether it
would make a good lamp stand for the den. Mr. Lee at Panda Camera in
Stanley Street undertook to tidy the lot up for HK$900.00 (US$126).
Here is the result:
http://tinyurl.com/2973a5
My wife and I have retired to the south side of Lantau Island (the
north side is where the Chek Lap Kok airport has been built) to a
village called Cheung Sha ? which means long sand. My house is about
500 meters from the longest (6 ? 7 km long) and cleanest beach in
Hong Kong.
Here are some pictures of the beach:

Nikkor 200 f4.0 on the Oly 330E ? where it acts like a 400mm telephoto.
http://tinyurl.com/27wwbg
Sunset wave with the 200 again
<http://tinyurl.com/2z88o8>
Sunset with the 200
http://tinyurl.com/2o3zqr
Dog on the beach ? again the 200 on the Oly 330
<http://tinyurl.com/2tqdbj>

  The road that runs by in the front of our house winds its way up
Lantau mountain to the Buddhist monastery at the top ? the main
feature of which is a huge statue of the Buddha. I picked up the old
camera and lenses last Friday and on Sunday  ? I was shooting FILM at
the Big Buddha. The Nikkormat is really a classic design - simple
rugged and so easy to use. I purchased an  N > 4/3rd adapter and shot
some digital pix on the Oly 330E to test the Nikkor lenses. Please
enjoy the pictures which are from digital files. The film is still to
be developed.
Buddha with flags Nikkor 50
http://tinyurl.com/3a73yc
Buddha medium shot Nikkor 50
http://tinyurl.com/37ps4y
Buddha CU Nikkor 200
http://tinyurl.com/39t4vo
Prayer Medium shot Nikkor 50
http://tinyurl.com/3y8lt6
Po lin monestary
<http://tinyurl.com/2um464>

Comments welcome, as always. I am afraid a couple of the tiny urls
did not ?take? so you may have to cut and paste them. Don?t know why.
Sorry about that.
Cheers,
Howard
(in Hong Kong)