Subject: [Leica] And I Thought Leica M Lenses Were Expensive
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat Mar 24 06:57:36 2007

FWIW, the Noctilux I believe is the oldest lens design in the M lineup.  All
the other lenses have been ASPH'd, APO'd, or otherwise
modified ( except the venerable 50/2.  Old Summicrons never die!)

When Leica sold off ELCAN to Hughes, later Raytheon, there was talk of
discontinuing all lenses from ELCAN because of glass
availability, assembly costs, etc.  The production was supposed to move to
Germany ( or other).  Never happened for all these years.

Add to this the fact that the EU has banned certain chemicals from
production ( I think one of the rare earth elements in the Nocti
was to be banned) and you have problems... no glass, increasing production
costs, and old design.

Is this Noctilux the same design as the previous versions?  Or is this a
ASPH Nocti?  APO Nocti?

Your other choice is..... just plain expensive Nocti.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Another though that I had is they stopped making them in Canada and
started in Solms so they had to raise the price. Does anyone know
where the current ones are being made?

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] IMG: Was expensive now Leica half-frame SLR)
Message from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] And I Thought Leica M Lenses Were Expensive)
Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] And I Thought Leica M Lenses Were Expensive)