Subject: [Leica] IMG: Lightroom scans to WEB
From: dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Mar 25 09:15:08 2007

bill harting wrote:
> Daniel, the scans seem to have all the personality washed out of them on
> my screen. The tree seemed to best survive the flattening (if it is
> flattening of values).. I was impressed with Michiel's posting of
> Lightroom/film files yesterday, and watched the promotional snippets on
> the web of both Lightroom and Lightzone. Both seemed very interesting
> and powerful within their limitations. What would you like to do next
> with these files? I'm sure there is more there.

Bill,

The nice thing with both Lightroom and Lightzone is that they don't
botch your original files.

Now some of the problem could be my lack of experience with Fortepan
400. I had a roll lying around (I have 20 rolls lying around to be
precis) and I really don't know the film very well.

My next step will be to take the unaltered tiffs from the scanner and
load them into Photoshop, like I usually do.

I won't be using Lightroom or Lightzone. Their inability to deal with
sharpening in resized images make them useless for me. If I am going to
have to load Photoshop or Gimp to do the last touches, I might as well
do everything in Photoshop.

Spotting negatives in both of them is really unrealistic. They have
tools for spotting and healing, but Lightroom has made an effort to make
sure that Photoshop users do not recognize how to use it and Lightzone
is about as clumsy.

If I ever go all digital, then these are definitely candidates, but they
don't meet my needs. I'm a bit of a pedantic when it comes to these things.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] IMG: Lightroom scans to WEB)
Message from vintagebill at verizon.net (bill harting) ([Leica] IMG: Lightroom scans to WEB)