Subject: [Leica] Lightroom advice
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Wed Mar 28 01:16:33 2007

On 28 Mar, 2007, at 09:09, Wade Heninger wrote:

> On 3/28/07 12:57 AM, "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I take issue with Lightroom in the same way. I know where the
>> database file is, i know where my photographs are. It is better than
>> the Beta version in this respect but backups are a problem for me
>> because I do not understand well enough to be sure my backup contains
>> all the information. I HATE software like that.
>> I have lost my database once - only message was corrupt database, the
>> backup automatically made by Lightroom did not seem to be complete.
>> In the end I started again. I am still not sure the shortcomings
>> don't outweigh the good bits.
>
> Here is four easy steps to get over this anxiety:
>
> 1. Create a folder called "Photo Archive" on your hard drive of
> choice -
> internal or external.

I effectively do that now - though the file name is different :-)

> 2. When importing:
>
>   a) make sure on you choose to copy the files to a new location
> and import.
> Choose the "new location" as the "Photo Archive" folder.

I am being a bit more picky than that because I have sub folders for
different cameras, but in principle this is what I have been doing

>   b) Convert to DNG always when you import - this gets around
> dealing with
> sidecars and makes it so as much data as can be written to the file is
> written.

I am too scared to do this yet, will it mean that Silkypix and
Capture One, if I want to use them, will be able to read the camera
specific data if they are not the camera maker's format? I am not
prepared to commit myself to only Photoshop and Lightroom and don't
want any nasty surprises over other software not correctly
recognising the camera specific profile.
Perhaps I am too cautious.

> 3. Turn on "Automatically write changes to XMP" in the Preferences/
> File
> Mangement dialog - this will push as much of the "truth" to the
> files. And
> since they are DNG, it is written to the file and there in case of any
> issues.

OK I've done this.

> Done.
>
> All images will be imported to the Photo Archive folder.  All
> information
> about those images will be saved to the Lightroom database therein,
> and all
> the files will hold as much truth as they can logically contain
> (yes there
> are a few things that the Lightroom Library contains that does not
> make
> sense at the file-level).

This did not work for me - Lightroom refused to use the database file
located on my Photographs disc.

> 4. Now, make sure your backup software is backing up that "Photo
> Archive"
> folder.
>
> Shout for joy - You're golden. Ok, I gotta tack on one more:

Not ready for joy yet :-)

> 5. Get back to shooting pictures and don't stress it.  Show those
> pictures
> to Ted and talk about how fun it was to "just shoot" and he'll be
> happier...

I do get fun just shooting - the problem has just appeared trying to
understand the Lightroom database. I have started the Luminous
Landscape tutorial. The thing that scares me is that if I lose
Lightroom database or stop using it for any reason it will be
spectacularly hard to find the pictures using the method I use now,
ie browsing my photo files on my photo hard drive :-(

cheers,
Frank