Subject: [Leica] TECH: Advice and experience requested
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Mar 28 04:49:32 2007

At 08:31 AM 3/28/2007, you wrote:
>The raw file of course requires development - SP or LR indifferently
>- but what I don't understand is that when  they have been processed
>the settings should be ok and autoanything in PS should not result
>in a highly contrasted, lacking in detail, burnt out, picture.
>Am I wrong in that respect?
>Phil...x

Yes, you're wrong ;-)  Think of it like your camera's meter trying to
make everything zone 5.  If you don't know where to point your meter,
you will end up with blown out highlights and/or dense shadows.  PS
auto controls don't know where to point the meter - they are just
using averages based on the histogram and if your photo has very
bright or very dark areas, they will be blown out or dense as the
auto command tries to hit an average exposure.  Auto color is a
little different because it bases its adjustments on the actual image
rather than the histogram.  You can sometimes get a good result by
just using auto color, if you want to use the automatic
commands.  It's still better to adjust the RAW before converting, though.

Tina

Replies: Reply from phamard at numericable.fr (Philippe Amard) ([Leica] TECH: Advice and experience requested)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] TECH: Advice and experience requested)
Message from phamard at numericable.fr (Philippe Amard) ([Leica] TECH: Advice and experience requested)