Subject: [Leica] B+W 486 filter
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Wed Mar 28 13:13:28 2007

Yes, IR is an issue on other cameras, but beware of the cutoff filter Cure
on really wide angles on any brand of digital camera.  Here is my sad story:

I have a Heliopan 77mm UV/IR cutoff filter which I put on a Nikon 17-55
lens, on a D2X.  I took some otherwise decent snow pictures in Yosemite, at
17mm.  All of these pictures show very strong cyan vignetting, and will have
to be printed in b&w.  Not a total loss, but aggravating and caused solely
because I was being too smart.

That cutoff filter is now on a Nikon f/2.8 70-200, and I am happy again.
BTW, that lens on a D2X is simply superb.

I bought B+W 486 filters for my 28, 35, 50, 90 and 135mm Leica lenses.  As
you say end of story, except for the 28mm, and that lens is going to be
coded.  In snow I can can see some cyan vignetting, otherwise it is
invisible.

Cheers,
Bob Rose

Message: 2