Subject: [Leica] Kyle - have you seen this
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Mar 28 19:28:33 2007

On 3/28/07 10:56 PM, "Frank F. Farmer" <summicron@comcast.net> typed:

> Murder is a legal distinction.  Here in Mississippi, and many other
> jurisdictions, it is defined thusly:
>
> "1) The killing of a human being without the authority of law by any
> means or in any manner shall be murder in the following cases:
>
> (a) When done with deliberate design to effect the death of the person
> killed, or of any human being;
> (b) When done in the commission of an act eminently dangerous to others
> and evincing a depraved heart, regardless of human life, although
> without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular
> individual;
> (c) When done without any design to effect death by any person engaged
> in the commission of any felony other than rape, kidnapping, burglary,
> arson, robbery, sexual battery, unnatural intercourse with any child
> under the age of twelve (12), or nonconsensual unnatural intercourse
> with mankind, or felonious abuse and/or battery of a child in violation
> of subsection (2) of Section 97-5-39,  or in any attempt to commit such
> felonies;
> (d) When done with deliberate design to effect the death of an unborn
> child."
>
> The important distinction is that it be done "without the authority of
> law."  Hence, killing in self-defense, for example, is not murder
> because one has the right to defend oneself.  It is not the "killing"
> alone that makes murder what it is.  There are a number of things to
> consider.
>
> Frank Farmer
> Jackson, Miss.

I'm not going to touch Mississippi law with a ten foot pole from what I've
just seen of it. I'm staying off the Bayou and sticking with the swamps of
Manhattan and the Harlem Meer. (I think I saw Cristiana Ricci on 74th and
Columbus the night before last)
I am aware that the FBI isn't interested in murder. Murder is not a federal
office. Unless you kill somebody when burning down a building. Or some
infernal weird other thing.
I think I was more interested in the moral and ethical end rather than the
legal. As we both know what's legal and what's moral or ethical have
coincidental nonconsensual relations. And a real concept of "justice"
intersects on a highly elliptical unnatural orbit with both of the former.

But I heard that until very very recently in Florida the law went that if a
guy looks at your wife in a bar you can shoot him dead and walk away Scot
free. I just know in my bones that had to have been true.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com