Subject: [Leica] IMG: Shanghai Father, II
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Wed Apr 4 14:16:19 2007

Quoth the Tina Manley <images@comporium.net>:

> PESO:
>
> Here is the alternate (you knew it was coming! ;-))   I wanted the
> context of the wider shot but maybe the composition is better on this
> one.  I like the father best in the original and the baby best in
> this one.  I need your unbiased help editing!

I don't see the extra space at the left in the first as providing context,
simply because there's no real additional information there except "the
wall is longer and there's another bike here." For me that's mostly dead
space, and the father's cropped in what seems to me to be a somewhat
forced fashion, given all the extra space around the baby.

On the other hand if I were doing something profitable, such as a magazine
cover, that space would give you lots of room to drop type into it
without really damaging the actual thrust of the shot, which to me
appears to be the look on the father's face.  (The facial expressions are
exquisite on both, to me.)

If it's for folio or book, the second.  If it's going to a commercial
agency, both...

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: Shanghai Father, II)