Subject: [spam] Re: [Leica] Re:News
From: eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi)
Date: Mon Apr 9 15:06:36 2007

Mark,

Just for the record, I agree with you in every point you said about
the zooms vs primes. They flare more, they weight more, they are
uglier, they are huge, they promote photographer laziness. But they
are just tools, and they are more convenient for certain jobs than a
prime in the same way than a 135/2.8 soft focus is more appropriate
for a portrait than a 100/2.8 macro lens, even if this latter
outperforms in several technical aspects the other.

But for instance, the Canon EF35/2 had more spherical aberration at
the corners at f/2.8 than the old EF20-35/2.8L at the same focal
length and aperture. The EF20/2.8 had more vignetting AND spherical
aberration than the EF17-35/2.8L.  Canon L glass is just plainly
better quality than their consumer grade primes. I don't know if it
is a reason of quality assurance or what.

Ed
PS. Just for the record, I love my M8, even if it is noisier than my
5d, and its colors are difficult to treat. It's just the more
appropriate tool for the job I want to do, and it suits my shooting
style more than the 5d.
But for clinical macro photography, it is absolutely unuseable (yes,
I have tried with a Visoflex), and the 5d becomes the right tool to
use. Sorry for the lack of time to respond as deserved.

El 09/04/2007, a las 10:06, Mark Rabiner escribi?: