Subject: [Leica] IMG: People Even!
From: leicam4pro at yahoo.com (Photo Phreak)
Date: Mon Apr 9 15:15:27 2007

I can't enlarge this enough to see it more clearly.  But I worked in both a
Southwestern Bell number 5 crossbar office in 1966 and for Long Lines from
1970 to 1973.  We were still using solder connection in both places.  But
this is not something to squable over.....

Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> wrote:
> We did not use a punchdown tool in a central office at that time, nor did
> I use one when

It looks very clear to me that he is standing in front of a frame of 66
blocks, probably of Western Electric manufacture, but very similar to these:

http://www.homaco.com/quickconnect/accessories/66%20block.htm

A 66 block is, by definition, a punchdown block and not a solder block. And
I can see bridging clips on the block at the upper left, on 26 pair and 34
pair. Solder blocks don't take bridging clips. So this is almost certainly a
punchdown frame, which made me wonder why he didn't have the ubiquitous
Harris D814 at his belt.

I also never saw a frame tech wear a watch, for fear of metal-on-metal
contact. But I don't think there was a rule against it.

Punchdown was used on outside plant, so this is probably the subscriber side
of an MDF.