Subject: [Leica] Re:News
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Apr 10 00:43:04 2007

On 4/9/07 11:18 PM, "Don Dory" <don.dory@gmail.com> typed:

> Mark,
> Interesting monologue.  Today I put some of my 12X18 prints(M8+24 or
> 35SummicronIV) against some similar sized prints out of a 5D and 16-35.
> Mine were F4ish and his were F8-11.  Amazing what detail the Leica's can
> produce.  Prints on the table every time.

Not sure what you'd learn, Don!
I think you have to shoot a thing with both lenses in the same lighting at
the same sitting. The same subject same time same station and with tripod.
Print them together, kind of make them match. Then search for differences.

Other wise its

"Hey look at this picture of this nice apple taken with the zoom" to
"Hey look at this nice bench in the park taken with the 50!"

There's way over a dozen variables to get in the way of the comparison
otherwise. Shutter speed. Which ones the better print. Lighting.  Which one
has more jacked up contrast and or sharpening. Yada yada yoda.
And what do you like better apples or benches.

And how intimidated are you by other photographers prints.
Most photographers when they see another photographers prints think
"My goodness I could never do anything that good"
And that's what the other photographers is also thinking about your print."

So it all evens out.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY