Subject: [Leica] IR cut filters and lens detection on and off in B&W
From: tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield)
Date: Fri Apr 13 21:52:07 2007

Thanks, Howard.  That's the comparison I always wanted to see, but
haven't been able to make the stretch for the M8 myself yet!  Much
more extended shadow detail, and the green v. grey color is not an
issue.  It seemed logical to me that an extended red sensitivity
would be an advantage in b&w available light, particularly under
reddish light such as tungsten.  I would expect skin tones to come
out lighter, too.

People were much to fast to jump on the IR sensitivity as being a
"defect", as opposed to being a characteristic that can either be
exploited to advantage under appropriate circumstances, or
compensated for when a disadvantage.  I guess it depends on whether
you're a glass-is half-full or half-empty kinda person.

Tom