Subject: [Leica] Re: Kodak Moment
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Apr 19 08:15:38 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 5:47 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Okay, consider where it's posted, but, well, it DOES have its
> moments..
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz6XjXu-oT8>
>
> Give it about 15 or 20 seconds and it sorta changes gears...
>
> And remember....SMILE...it's a Kodak moment...
>
> Adam

I just received Kodak's annual report and the film division's profits
are in free fall. They badly misjudged the digital steam roller.
Kodak is still the largest supplier of silver based imaging materials
but the company implies that within a few years it may well be out of
the consumer film business. It will all be digital as the You Tube
clip says. The company asks all us suffering stockholders to bear
with them while they are in transition. I hope they succeed but the
stock price is half what it was a couple of years ago.

Kodak is one of those companies where the component parts are worth
more than the whole. If you remember the movie "Other People's Money"
you know what I mean. Eastman Chemicals, a split off from Kodak,
showed record profits. Film is the anchor dragging the company down.

A possible silver lining for would be home buyers is that upscale
houses in the Rochester area are going cheap. It is a good place to
live if you are not in the photography business.

Larry Z