Subject: [Leica] NPR comments on photography, Now video grabs
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Fri Apr 20 14:19:50 2007

At 04:56 PM 4/20/2007, you wrote:
>This is giving me a headache.  Send it to the forum!!!!!!!
>
>Tom

No!  It's still about photography.  The forum is for off-topic
subjects and Leicas have been used for photojournalism since the
beginning of time.  Photojournalism is going through tremendous
changes since digital appeared on the scene.  The latest trend being
talked about on the NPPA list(National Press Photographer's
Association) is the use of video cameras for all
photojournalism.  Since most newspapers now have a website, it is
more efficient to just send photographer out with a video camera and,
if they need stills for the actual paper newspaper, they will grab a
still from the video footage.  That is the norm today in
photojournalism.  Instead of the decisive moment we have the decisive
hour or two from which to pick and choose our moment.

I think a still photo, taken by someone who recognizes a decisive
moment, is more effective than any grab shot from a video stream.  I
think there is a totally different mindset when shooting video -
different angles, different concerns about sound, different
connection with the subject.  And verticals are not an option. I'm a
dinosaur, unfortunately.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com