Subject: [Leica] IMG M8 natural light portrait
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Apr 21 01:01:51 2007

On 4/21/07 2:34 AM, "Hugh Thompson" <hewthompson@mac.com> typed:

> Mark - the mixed light is bothersome in my opinion - this is the type
> of situation where the M8 excels in B & W
>
> Hugh
>
> On 20-Apr-07, at 8:34 PM, MARK DAVISON wrote:
>
>> Here's a friend caught in mixed light at a dinner party.  (Not an
>> award winning shot, but I like the way the mixed light wraps around
>> his face.)  M8, CV 28 / 1.9, B+W 486 UV/IR cut filter, -2/3
>> exposure compensation.
>>
>> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/MarkEDavison/F1April07/
>> L1000771.jpg.html

I'll put my two cents in on this one too you're saying the mixed light is
rubbing you the wrong way my fix would be to desaturate by half.
We get so used to our hyped up color from the results we used to get with
film. The world does not have hyped up color that the average photo
especially most slide films have or had. And now digital.
Especially the blue from the outside. Looks like neon. That's not how it
looks. A great effect though and darned hard to tone down because of that.

Think the color might be bad or not so great or have mixed feelings on it?
Desaturate! That's my answer.
Less is More.

And one could not only match the real desaturation of the real world as we
really see it one could take it a step further and have it be a bit less
color. No one ever does that but me. I'm the only one. And when they do I
hope they ask me first. Get proper permission.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com