Subject: [Leica] NPR story
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Sat Apr 21 09:08:54 2007

What it all boils down to is that in this day and age of easy digital
manipulation it has been generally agreed on that removing anything from
a photo is taboo.  This is more because of the ease with which it is
done.  Just where do you draw the line.  Is it at the legs as in this
photo, straightening and whitening the teeth of a mother of 5 kids for
the cover of a national news magazine, enhancing the color of a
defendants mug shot for dramatic effect, moving a pyramid to fit the
cover of a magazine....just where do you say enough is enough.

One goes too far and then no one is believed any more.  So the
"standard" is now no manipulation is allowed.  Simple and effective and
not too hard to follow.  If it is decided that you are not supposed to
remove the legs from a news photo of this type and someone does it, well
then he must face the consequences of his actions.  He**  I am a
commercial photographer now and I know this is not something one does in
journalism.  Period.  We can discuss if this is a valid change of the
photo or how simply being there changes things (look at Quantum Physics
if you really want to get into this...pretty interesting stuff there!),
but the rules say do not change the photo in photo shop by removing
things or adding things. Period.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography