Subject: [Leica] Unusual Freeze Damage
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Sat Apr 21 19:22:07 2007

LUGGERS,

This situation may occur more often in other areas, but in the Upper
Mid-South it is highly unusual.  Just before Easter, we had three nights in
which the temperature dropped into the mid-20s for 6-7 hours.  The preceding
weather had been warm, and all of the plants and trees were showing tender
young leaves. Many flowering plants, such as tulips and azaleas were in
bloom. Now, two weeks later, many plants and many trees look like a disaster
area.  The agricultural experts say that many of the plants and trees will
recover, but most of the fruit crops are gone for this year.

I have photographed a few examples from my own yard.

A 40-yr old boxwood was covered with new growth, which is now white
following the freeze.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/FreezeDamage/Boxwood.jpg.html

The St. John's Wort along my utility barn is brown.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/FreezeDamage/StJohnsWort.jpg.html

The oak trees all over town have shrivelled leaves that are beginning to
drop off.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/FreezeDamage/Oaks.jpg.html

In my 77 years, I have never seen this situation before.  In Tennessee, the
governor is trying to see if he can get disaster aid for the farmers and
fruit growers, and I have heard that the situation is similar in the
Carolinas.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Unusual Freeze Damage)