Subject: [Leica] Noctilux M8 back focus update -- Erwin Puts inroduction
From: tomschofield at comcast.net (Tom Schofield)
Date: Tue Apr 24 15:38:16 2007

Hi Eric,

We should introduce you to the work of a former LUG member-turned-
author of the Leica Lens Compendium, Erwin Puts.  You can spend many
hours on his website: www.imx.nl

Here is an excerpt discussing the focus shift with the Noctilux
(tables did not paste well) In a nutshell, as you stop down, while
the focus shift continues, depth of field compensates for it, so that
it is most problematic at f 2.0, where the focus shift is greater
than, the depth of field:

"MTF measurements of the Noctilux and the Summicron can be compared
to give this discussion a more quantifiable dimension.

The Noctilux however has some very special problems in this area.
Consider the results in the tables below.

% Contrast in center Noctilux-M
lp/mm  1.0   2.0   5.6
10         84   79    90
20         59   41    72
40         27    1     33
The 10lp/mm value at f/1,0 is very good, the 20lp/mm is still quite
good and the 40lp/mm result is acceptable: the Summicron has the same
value for the 40lp/mm in the extreme corners. (at f/2,0 mind you!).
At f/2,0 we notice an overall drop in performance , especially at
40lp/mm, while at f/5,6 the performance is slightly better than at
full aperture. Modern Photography tested the Noctilux a number of
years ago and noticed the same behaviour. They just accepted the
figures. We know that the Noctilux cannot be fully corrected for
spherical aberration. One important result of this defect is a slight
focusshift. (?Blendendifferenz? the Germans call it). When refocused
the Noctilux showed these results:

% Contrast in center Noctilux-M (refocused)
lp/mm  2.0   5.6
10        94    96
20        80    91
40        51    79

The focusshift of the Noctilux is 74 micron when stopping down from
1,0 to 2,0 and 120 micron when going to 5.6. The reason that the f/
5,6 values do not drop as much as the f/2,0 values (in the first
series of measurements) is the depth of field. At f/5,6 this depth of
field is greater than the focusshift, so the results stay within
tolerances. By the way: 120 microns is the total thickness of a
typical fine grain 35mm film! These results show the pitfalls when
testing an extreme aperture lens. As most objects in the real world
are three dimensional and have depth, the effects of the focusshift
are hardly noticable. What you could notice is a slight softening of
the image at f/5,6, because the focusshift will produce a somewhat
larger diameter of the blur circle."

Enjoy Erwin's site, but keep in mind some of the technical issues he
discusses are so minute that most people will never realize them in
ordinary shooting.

Tom