Subject: [Leica] Funny Friday Flower
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Apr 28 13:15:20 2007

Len and Luis, thanks for responding.

Yes, it is a flower.  I don't know the real name, but a female friend calls
them "boy flowers, " for obvious reasons  :-)  I've seen them at florists,
and in Hawaii.

The story behind the picture is this:  While on vacation last week, we went
to the Fairchild Botanical Gardens in Miami, Florida.  When we got there,
we discovered that the garden had been "invaded" by glass artist Dale
Chihuly's work (though I must say, they did a very good job matching the
art with the flora).

Now, Chihuly is based in the Seattle area, and his work is all over the
place around our area. It was weird that we had traveled as far as possible
from Seattle while still remaining in the continental U.S., only to
encounter. . .  more Chihuly!  We just couldn't get away from him!

We were laughing about this when I spied the scene in the picture.  All I
could think of was that the plant was giving the art "the
finger."  Twice!  Since the art had been there for a couple of months, the
"critic" flowers probably grew after the art was in place, as if in reaction.

I'm curious if the image "works" without knowing the story.  I showed it to
some colleagues.  Some got it, some didn't.

--Peter