Subject: [Leica] Was: early April, now 'shooting street'
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Mon Apr 30 17:03:31 2007

Jeez, George, many thanks for those kind words, but
getting into 'why my street photography doesn't suck'
seems like a good way to end up with a sphincter
firmly lodged around my neck.

It's a matter of taste. I'd say you and I have certain
things in common, in our experience as image makers,
that makes it possible to connect on a visual level.

For the past several months I've hung out some over at
Brownlow's Street Photo forum. There's a generous
proportion of shooters there whose interests are more
postmodern, in that they are very concerned with
situation and context (ie: no people), and my stuff
comes in for a fair share of 'ho-hums' with that part
of the crowd. Likewise some stuff that I find banal in
the extreme gets taken very seriously, as it documents
the street as an environment of alienation and
conflicting agendas. It's certainly worthwhile, but
personally I'm not that interested.

I will say, though, that a large part of what
motivates me to shoot what I do is the great joy I
feel to be back home in the South after being away for
most of the last 25 years. And by South I mean that
mental condition much more than the simple location. I
love being surrounded by folks that I 'get', and maybe
that comes through.