Subject: [Leica] Re: Silver and inkjet differences.
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu May 3 16:09:37 2007

On May 3, 2007, at 1:19 PM, George wrote:

> I don't think we've reached the point where a discriminating eye
> cannot tell the difference between an ink-jet print and a silver
> print. Many of the higher end juried photo exhibitions judge
> submissions of a dozen prints from each photographer. They're looking
> at, and handling, actual paper usually matted, generally not images
> under glass.

As I understand it, Ken was talking about an ART show. In all the
shows to which my wife submits artwork, she is required to identify
the medium. I.e. oil (or acrylic) on canvas, collage, watercolor,
silver gelatin print, giclee (ink jet), or mixed media.

In the art world there is a pecking order in medium prestige. Oil on
canvas is more prestigious than acrylic on canvas. Both are
considered more arty than watercolor. Paintings on canvas-board are
at the bottom. Collage on canvas is considered better than collage on
paper. Bronze sculpture ranks slightly above stone sculpture and both
tower above wood sculpture. Silver/gelatin prints rank above ink-jet
prints and images captured on film are considered superior to
digitally captured images.

 From a normal viewing distance the differences in paint or print
medium are invisible. A judge would have to put his/her nose on the
canvas or paper to identify the technique. But it is art so the logic
is illogical.

Larry Z