Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica's Freedom train
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri May 4 10:32:14 2007

On May 4, 2007, at 1:02 PM, Ken wrote:

> On May 3, 2007, at 5:58 PM, Lottermoser George wrote:
>
>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6j0ynkR8Ic>
>>
>> Regards,
>> George Lottermoser
>> george@imagist.com
>
> I've bookmarked that to show to my "sweetheart" who's Jewish.  When I
> first told her about this, she had no idea of it, nor did she know
> about Dietrich Bonhoeffer, et.al.
>
> Herr Leitz stands in my mind as one of the shining examples of what
> my own faith is all about.
>
> Thanks for sharing this with us, George.

I speculate that Leica's Freedom Train may well explain the dominance
of Jewish owned camera stores in the New York area.(and also Chicago
and Los Angeles). B&H, Wall St. Camera, Adorama, Olden Camera,
Brooklyn Camera are all owned an operated by Orthodox Jews. Many
processing and repair firms are also Jewish owned. Most close early
on Friday evening and shut down entirely during the week between Rosh
Hashanah and Yom Kippur. This may also explain the inconsistency
about my father's view of German products. He strongly approved of my
buying a Leica while in college soon after WW2 but definitely
disapproved of my consideration of a Volkswagen.

Larry Z