Subject: [Leica] Re: comments from one of the judges
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Sun May 6 04:39:18 2007

Monti

The Fine Art genre. That  makes all the difference in the world.
Naturally, had I known we were going to move into such a creative,
complex and deep subject such as fine art I'd have been more respectful.
:-)       I will admit, though, to having an early on love affair with
/*art photography*/ before becoming tainted with journalism. I was
fortunate enough. to see, handle, and be partially responsible for shows
by Ansel Adams, Brett and Edward Weston, Minor White, Dave Heath and
others. They were, as I'm sure you know, the backbone of what came to be
called art photography.

It now seems as if every Tom, Dick and Honey carrying an overpriced
camera is into art photography. Either that or heaven forbid,
photojournalism. Believe me, I've nothing against art. Even been known
to enter (and win) a few art contests but that wasn't the issue with my
post concerning our contest. One has only to pick up a copy of Black and
White magazine to become all to familiar with fine art photography. The
back twenty-five percent of that bastion of photo art is filled with
"struggling artists". Mostly, it seems, they  are listed as fine art
photographers rather than dabblers, dilettantes or just plain wishful
thinkers.  Psychology, culture, life experience, education and insights
aside, I was not caught up in a  fine art versus the rest of us
routine.  What we manage to post on a monthly basis is quite far afield
from /*art*/. You, me, and ll the rest do o.k., but fine art? I think
not. Occasionally one of  us may stir the graphics pot and pull out a
nice image but I'd be remiss if I tried to classify any of us as artists.

One more thing before returning to my state of lethargy and inaction.
There are plenty of LUGGERS burning up a lot of film (or pixels for our
less fortunate compatriots) on a constant basis. Rather than
encouraging  more film to be wasted  I'd hope the contest  causes  us to
think before we click.  Intent, content and after it's all over, repent.
:-P

Walt