Subject: [Leica] M8 trials and tribulations?
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon May 7 00:12:15 2007

Jerry, it is true that there is no mechanical nor electrical connection with
the lens to display the aperture. I think
understandable and ingenious that this digital remains compatible with
almost all M lenses. However the camera does have the sensor
on the top plate which assists with estimating the aperture for flash work.
I believe that its readout is considered insufficiently
reliable for its information to be included in the EXIF. Do you recall the
system that Nikon had on its manual focus cameras with
the small window that actually showed a view of a smaller copy of the
aperture scale, printed on the rear edge of the lens? So I
guess it can be done if thought important enough.

Cheers
Hoppy