Subject: [Leica] posting again
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Mon May 7 04:57:31 2007

Well Slobodan

Technically, you are a bit off as to ownership.  All the work I' did as
an agency shooter remained mine, mine, mine. Years before that the issue
was less defined but since most of what I shot was done on my time, it's
mine,mine.mine.

I wouldn't shoot for any organization which insisted I sign an agreement
giving up my rights of ownership. I know times have changed and many
publications want all the rights, but an independent contractor (read
freelancer) is just that.

This, of course, doesn't apply to those fortunate (or poor bastards)
working as employees.  That is the price one must pay for knowing where
and when their bread will be buttered.

The times I was broke enough to sign those agreements without protest
did happen. Fortunately, those were times when the work would be too
embarrassing to flaunt.Much like the fellow (Haberle) who carried an
extra camera when shooting atrocities I did the same. :-)

Walt