Subject: [Leica] Re: Lens comparison
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun May 13 07:46:32 2007

On May 13, 2007, at 8:16 AM, Len wrote:

>> I just made a composite photo of the same section of six photos
>> taken with
>> six different Leica M and LTM lenses on my M8.
>>  From top to bottom the photo strips represent shots taken with the
>> following lenses at f2 only. All of the lenses had their lens hoods
>> attached.
>>
>> Leica Summilux ASPH (current)
>>
>> Leica Summicron (current)
>>
>> Konica Hexanon (last current)
>>
>> Leica Summitar (very slight haze at edges, coating very good)
>>
>> Leica Summicron ( slight haze, slight cleaning marks)
>>
>> Leica Summarit ( very slight haze, very slight cleaning marks)
>>
>> I rank the order of the lenses with best on top. The top 3 are much
>> better
>> then the bottom 3 for resolution. Of the bottom 3 the Summitar has
>> the best
>> contrast, the Summicron coll the best resolution.
>>
>> You can judge for yourself.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2xdfyt

Nice "experiment."

But I guess the only definitive conclusion is that new lenses in
apparently pristine condition are better than hazy, scratched old
lenses.

But on a related topic, does the image quality ranking of older Leica
lenses differ because of the reduced area of the M8 sensor? For
example, the 35 mm Elmar is regarded as having good central
definition but vignetting and poorer resolution toward the edges of
the 35 mm frame. Many critics believe the Summitar is better than the
Summicron in the central area but poorer in the corners. Even the
Summar and the Hektor have good center image quality.  But since the
M8 crops the image circle of the film lenses so that only the central
area is used, have these old lenses gained a new lease on life?

How about it lens fans?

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Re: Lens comparison)