Subject: [Leica] Royal Humor in Photography
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun May 13 20:07:22 2007

At 09:57 PM 5/13/2007, Charlie Meyer wrote:
 >I was leafing through a biography of Lord Mountbatten today and
 >spotted a photo of Himself attempting to give photography pointers to
 >the Queen.  The MGB in the background had those awful early 1970s
 >steel wheels of that era.  The caption noted that Mountbatten was
 >hardly endowed with photography skills, and Herself seems to be
 >politely enduring his counsel on using a 110 point and shoot.
 >Decorum aside, the Queen did have one of her chrome  M Leicas round
 >her neck with its' neveready case open.

Elizabeth was trained in photography on a
Rolleiflex TLR by Cecil Beaton in the 1940's and
early 1950's.  Leitz then gifted her an M3 and
the German Government later gave her a
Contarex.  Leitz later gave her a second Leica RF
-- I believe that she, Hugo Eckener, and Erwin
Rommel were the only folks to be given two Leicas.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from eric.calderwood at btinternet.com (EricC) ([Leica] Royal Humor in Photography)