Subject: [Leica] The M8 and some Infra Red pictures
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Mon May 14 06:27:43 2007

Hi Luggers,
I was in town today prowling the camera stores in Tsim Sha Tsui
looking for a 9cm Leitz LTM > M adapter (didn't find one I could
afford) and in one of the stores I noticed that the camera repair man
had brought his son to work with him:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/IR+M8pix/
CameraRepairSPw.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/3bw6go

Stymied in my quest for the adapter I discovered in another store
that they had some B&W IR filters. Encouraged by the examples of IR
pictures I had seen on the LUG, I bought one and decided to play.

Down the street was a big construction site where they are modifying
the old Marine Police headquarters to make a boutique hotel and (of
course) another shopping centre. The site was supposed to be a
heritage one but the developer got permission to remove the hill on
which some of the Marine buildings were standing and so you have
buildings and large old trees being supported in cassions until the
shopping centre can be built under them - such is the scarcity of
land in Hong Kong and the eternal search for more and more profit.
But, I digress.

Here are the pictures: all M8, Tri Elmar with B&W 092 Infra Red
Filter at ISO 1250, developed in Silky Pix and resized for the web in
CS2.

Here's my first ever IR picture - the new Grand Hyatt Hotel under
construction just off Carnarvon Road (where Tin Cheung camera is
located)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/IR+M8pix/Grand-
HyattTSTIRw.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/34rv9z

Here's an over 100 year old tree in its cassion at the old Marine
Police Quarters construction site  - I hope it survives.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/IR+M8pix/
TreeCassionIRSPw.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/3ct9fo

Here's the Marine watch tower (which once has a commanding view of
the sea lanes between Kowloon and Hong Kong Island) also in its cassion.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/IR+M8pix/
MarineDeptTSTIRw.jpg.html

http://tinyurl.com/39tqpx

Another view of the construction site with the Marine Buildings in
the background - they are restoring these on what is left of the hill
- to become the hotel
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/IR+M8pix/
MarineTreeTSTIRw.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/3ym2vy

And another tree on the other side of the property facing Peking Road
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/IR+M8pix/
TreeCassion2IRSPw.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/2w46lr

On the way home on the Ferry I noticed a young student who is already
starting to multi task - talking on the phone with his gameboy in the
other hand.
Such is the pace in Hong Kong. M8, 90mm Elmarit ISO 1250 no coding no
filters. Developed in Silky Pix and resized for web using CS2 .

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/IR+M8pix/
FerryphoneGameboyBWw.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/2nz2no

Comments welcome as always,
Cheers
Howard (always busy in Hong Kong - like everyone else)