Subject: [Leica] M8 Repair/ Leica NJ
From: etruscello at yahoo.com (Tom Pastorello)
Date: Tue May 15 11:18:57 2007

been off-line for quite a while), my tale of M8 woe
began last month.  My M8 would not turn on --
resetting by popping the battery in and out provided
no help.  Waiting overnight before inserting a fresh
battery did not help either.  Days before the failure,
the camera was doing quirky things.  It gave an
occasional blank image while shooting (black and white
stripes only).  Sometimes the play back would show the
previous image rather than the one just taken, which
may or may not show at all.
   I sent it off to Leica NJ.  It was not possible for
me to speak to anyone in the repair department. The
secretary played interference.  The secretary said I
would receive a letter in one week, which would
probably say that I would be receiving a replacement
M8.  The letter never came.  Mr. Fisk never answered
my email (on this topic).  Eighteen days after sending
out my camera, a replacement M8 arrived!  That was
impressive, but communications with Repair were still
non-existent.  I called to find out if the replacement
were a new M8 or a refurbished model.  No one
could/would tell me.  I'm sure it was a refurbished
model because it came in a damaged box and its chrome
finish was smudged with what I think was graphite.  It
did clean up LN.  Also, its serial number was about
7000 cameras lower than than the one I sent in. I've
tested for a week in order to be able to say "it
works" well when I write this.  It does work very
well, except for some minor playback quirkiness after
the camera is just turned on, e.g., skipping images or
giving an index rather than a blow-up.
   The quick turn around time occurred because, I
think, of the intervention of my dealer with his Leica
representative.  My dealer was Allen of Allen's Camera
PA, recommended by Len Taupier.  It was a good
recommendation -- Allen served me well.  It was Sean
Reid who advised me to involve my dealer.
   Sean Reid is doing a survey on M8 failures, on the
Leica Camera Users Forum.  I reported my problem to
him to add to the data base.  I also told him
something all M8 users may find useful.  I think I
know how to prevent major problems with the M8 (tested
on my M8, my daughter's and a demo model).  When you
put your M8 in your camera bag, make sure the On/Off
switch does not slide from the Off position to
anywhere between the OFF and S positions.  This will
cause battery drainage, overheating and quirky
electronic behavior while shooting.  If the misaligned
switch is not found on time, it may cause failure.
Leica should recall every M8 and fix the switch.  They
probably won't.  I find also that it is useful to
allow the camera to "warm-up" after turning it on and
using it.  Wait until the shutter speed indication
stops flashing.
   This may all be voodoo, but it's what I'm doing and
so far its working.  I have no regrets about having
bought the M8.  The images it provides from my old
favorite M-lenses are superb.
   Good luck to all M8 owners.  I hope Leica NJ gets
on top of things soon.
   Tom P.

 a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools
to get online.

Replies: Reply from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] M8 Repair/ Leica NJ)