Subject: [Leica] geebee Ilford SFX processing
From: leicam4pro at yahoo.com (John Biava)
Date: Sat May 19 19:17:07 2007

IR photography is a matter of bracketing because there are so many variables
you cannot control.

  Absorbtion and reflectance are things you cannot see.

  The exact characteristics of the filter you are using also make a big
difference.  A R 25 is not really an IR filter, but seems to be about all
that is readily available now.

  Anyone have a current B+W and / or Heliopan catalog ?  Since photography
has lost its importance to home computers many sources are no longer in
business.  Anyone know of other reliable sources for filters ?

  Leica had some IR filters in the past.  They were nearly opaque and often
looked black.

  different manufacturer's films have different IR sensitivity.  Previously
there were special IR films available, even ifg only on special order.  I do
not know what the situation is now.

  From: "Jack Maddox"

> Graham,
> Could you tell me a little about the processing of your SFX and what red
> filter you are using? I really like the look you are obtaining and think
> I will try the film.
> Thanks,
> Jack

Jack,

I use a 3 stop compensation red filter and exposed the current shots as per
Ilfords' rating of 200ASA. On a previous occasion
shown below I rated it at 100ASA. The processing I leave to Ilford via pre
paid mailers. I have never obtained the kind of results
that I saw in someone else's work that first prompted me to try it so
results may vary.

http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05194.htm

http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05195.htm

http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05197.htm