Subject: [Leica] Laundry Marker Coding Works
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Tue May 22 23:57:21 2007

After paying to code two lenses I decided to give the self coding a
try.  Using a Sharpie didn't work, because as it turns out I was
using a fine point and was not getting the dot dark enough.  So I got
out a laundry marker and really darkened the spots.

Voila!  The camera recognizes the lens correctly.  More important
than the money, I didn't have to part with the lenses for 6 weeks.

This is important for the wise angle lenses and IR filters, since the
camera does not do the cyan removal thing without the code.

I believe that the code is also used by the flash system to estimate
the f/stop being used.

Bob Rose