Subject: [Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Wed May 23 18:58:49 2007

Robert,

I've got an external WD 80GB drive that I now use for weekly backups and
image storage.  I've been doing exactly what you suggest.  Every Sat.
morning I copy two groups of files that need updating as backups.  From time
to time, I purge older backups to save disc space. Since I use a PC, I use
Windows commands for the file copy routine.  I assume that Mac has something
similar.

When I am not using the drive, it is powered down and the USB cable is
disconnected.

I spend about 10 minutes every Sat. at this. It is certainly fast enough for
me. I learned the hard way about the problems of using dedicated backup
software.  The commands that I used for this in Windows 98SE were no longer
supported when I moved up to Win XP.  The file copy commands will always be
there.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA