Subject: [Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Wed May 23 21:32:39 2007

Jerry Lehrer <glehrer@san.rr.com> wrote:

>I assert that the M8 has a totally inadequate base locking design.

Speaking as a mechanical engineer I have to agree with Jerry.

The tripod socket can be expected to be subjected to damaging loads and it
should have an inexpensive and easily-replaced weak link to prevent damage
to major components.

If the front half of the body shell isn't easily replaceable this design is
a big boo-boo, ranking with the tripod socket design of the R4 through R6
and possibly R7.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com