Subject: [Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com)
Date: Fri May 25 07:08:13 2007

John,

I'm afraid there is way too much complaining with respect to the m8 in my
opinion.  This latest thing with the base plate is most likely a
manufacturing flaw, although it is a possible design issue.  However the
rant over the tripod socket is complete bunk in my opinion, as the m8 uses
the same design as every M camera to date, except possibly the m5 which i do
not know if it is the same.  If anything the m8 design is better as it is
centrally located to the body on the plate, and has less of a torque moment
than the m3 - mp cameras where the socket is located at the end of the
baseplate.

I currently use my m8 exclusively with a hand grip on the tripod mount point
for one handed use since breaking my arm, yeah i know i have said this
before, and have seen no indications whasoever of loose baseplate or any
indication of body casting or baseplate stress issues.  The baseplate by the
way, if i remember right, is made of the same material as the mp.  And the
tab which replaced the lug on the older design has the same surface area in
the dimension that counts.

gene

3 months with my m8 and zero regrets